Friday, May 30, 2008

Welcome!

With significant help from Mr. Mundahl, this blog has been set up to foster discussion within our community regarding the school read, A Stranger in the Kingdom by Howard Frank Mosher. Throughout the summer I will try to add posts which might spur conversation, ask or answer questions, or offer general insight as we move forward. For example, if you are looking in the dictionary for the word "gool", as in "When I was a boy growing up on the Kingdom gool . . ." (p. 3), you will probably not find it. Should you read further, however, you might find a potential answer in the context " . . . the light lasted half an hour longer up in the gore than down on the gool . . ." (p. 6). A history written of the Town of New Hampton, A Small Gore of Land, may also shed some light. Feel free to comment, and let's stay connected this summer.

Cheers!

Mr. Redman

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering why the picture in the header of the blog is a cemetery?

Red Dog said...

Dear "Anonymous" (I now feel like Ann Landers),

Mr. Mundahl was kind enough to select the autumn cemetery scene for me. While I'm sure it was merely a choice of aethetics, there is a significant scene which takes place in a cemetery later on in the novel. Thanks for asking!

Mr. Redman

Anonymous said...

I just want to say the summer reading is AWESOME!!!! I already read it and I loved it. (not a nerd, good book...). Will B was right tho in SM, kinda slow in the beginning. During the trail it really picks up!! It's amazing!!!!!
-nhs student

Red Dog said...

Dear NHS Day Student,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the novel. Spread the word as I think others will find it entertaining as well. If you could also stay tuned on this blog, you might be able to help or to contribute when questions or additional comments arise.

Mr. R.

Hans Mundahl said...

I had considered several other pictures for the header - perhaps that's an idea for a future post: thinking about what kind of title picture would best represent the book?

Any sox fans out there would probably vote for a 1952 era sox picture!

supp010 said...

I am more than half way through the book and enjoying it thouroghly, but I am having trouble picking up on one specific focus issue. Is it just me, or am I right to believe that there are many issues of equivilant value?

Shawn B said...

Just happened to stumble across this at the NHS Facebook page. I was a voracious reader for years, but busy last bunch. Figured since im not required to read this, maybe ill enjoy it more, hehe.
Ill certainly post something upon finishing it. I gather Mr. Redman is in the English department at NHS currently ? If so, id love to her what genres you prefer. Ive rad quit bit over the years i would be happy to offer you some preferences. Years ago i even had an online book review page, which i have saved offline somewhere.

Your year starts soon, hope its a great one,

Shawn '84